Wednesday, November 17, 2010

God Is My Strength and my Song

Azi Vuzimwrath Yah  
Before I came to seminary I was in a small group that was learning to read Biblical Hebrew. We didn't even make it up to verbs before I left for Asbury; but I felt like I learned a lot. I'm one of those people for whom Hebrew is fun. It's like a puzzle you need a decoder ring to understand. During the time I was learning to read Hebrew I was working as a courier in Charlotte, North Carolina. Wherever I went I would talk with various people I delivered to or picked up from. One of those people is a guy named Jeff who worked the pick up window at the Uptown post office in Charlotte. When I stumbled across this verse from Exodus 15 I decided to share it with Jeff. I taught him how to say the verse in Hebrew, and it became a combination inside joke and understanding between work acquaintances that God would support us and give us the strength to make it through the day. If Jeff was having a bad day, he didn't even have to explain. All he had to do was say Azi Vuzimwrath Yah when I came to the pick up window and we both understood. While I would never offer a whole sermon filled with Hebrew these three words have helped me through some very tough times because the are a reminder of from where my help truly comes.

No comments: