Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Process

Life has been very busy lately so I thought I'd share a little of what's been happening. One of the classes I'm taking this semester is Mentored Ministry. It's one of those where I'm supposed to be working in a church (inside the box) eight hours a week. However, I've been behind on hours so I'm doing some freelance graphic design work for the Children's Ministry to make up the difference. Since I haven't posted anything detailing the process I use I figured this would be a good time to share the way I work.

First I sit down with the people in charge and try to get a good idea of what they're looking for in a logo. Then I do a bunch of sketches of different ideas. That's when we meet again, and they tell me what works and what definitely does not work.
Then I do some more sketches and we talk again. It can be tedious. I usually do not offer more than two passes on a project, but since this for church I'm offering more. These were the second batch of sketches.
And these are the first run through the computer. I know it looks like a lot, but it fully invests the client in the project, and insures they get the logo they want. As much as I like getting paid to do stuff (I'm not getting paid for this one) it is really important to honor the God given vision for their ministry, so it is worth the extra effort.

No comments: