Monday, January 10, 2011

Daddy to the Rescue

When I read Psalm 18:6-15 I cannot help, but think of hearing my son's cries in the middle of the night. Right now Evan cries for food, but in the future the cries will be for skinned knees, bumps and bruises and eventually for broken hearts. I want to be there through all of those times; both good and bad. In these verses David is bragging about the way God came to his rescue. This account of God bowing the heavens and riding on a cherub is not in the historical account of these events found in 1-2Kings or 1-2Chronicles. However, David did have success evading Saul's army as it pursued David and fighting against Israel's enemies. God did come through for David when David was in tight spot after tight spot. This was one of the ways God taught David to trust in Him. Like a bank account, God was putting pennies into the account to teach David, God could be trusted. David was also putting money into the account by relying on God more and more, and by lifting up praises to the Lord God of Hosts, or as the message puts it "Lord God of the Angel Armies of Heaven." This idea of the relationship bank explains what I am trying to do during January. When the semester begins I have so little free time it is very important I pay into the relationship bank with my wife, and with my son. Sure, at 3 months (today) he probably won't remember this specific month, but I hope he will always have the same feeling about me that David has about God. I want my son to know in his heart I will always be there when he is in a tight spot.

No comments: