Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Are We There Yet?

In the second half of the book of Isaiah Jerusalem has been sacked and all of the people of Judah have been carted off into exile in Babylon. Isaiah 61:1 tells us some things which pertain to this walk I am on. The prophet Isaiah has been filled by the Holy Spirit and had his lips cleaned so that he would be worthy to preach God's word to the people (Isaiah 6:1-7). What he says about himself is very similar to something Jesus says. In Matthew 11:2-6 Jesus is approached by some of John the Baptist's disciples and asked if Jesus is the Christ or if they should wait for another. Jesus' reply is to point out the work He has done and not the things He has said, "the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them." Jesus' actions told who he was even before he spoke. Now, I don't have the gift of healing, but I can offer cool cup of water to person who is thirsty. I can share what I have learned about the Gospel to those who are lost and looking for the way home. I can serve in a food pantry, work as an usher in the church, tithe. I can do all of these things - but make no mistake. Christ was not trying to earn His salvation by works. Christ loves his Father and does things to please Him because Christ loves Him. This is the example. I will know I am home when I am no longer surrounded by the poor and needy, when those who were once atheists can see God and love Him, when I no longer worry about how my attempts to share the peace of Christ are perceived. Are we there yet? I wish I was, but I know I'm not. 

No comments: