Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Clearing Up The Static

I was reading Dr. Kinlaw's book "Preaching in the Spirit" last night, this line popped out at me. "God doesn't want us to walk with his will; he wants us to walk with him." It's really easy to get stuck thinking, God asked me to do this, or it says in the Bible I should do that, or whatever. We get so caught up in, I have to do this, or God won't be pleased with me if I don't do that, and for some people God will be angry with me if I don't do this thing over here. After reading Dr. Kinlaw's book I don't think God works that way. The more we think that way the more our spiritual antennas fill with static. For me it is a lot like watching a TV set without cable, satellite, or an antenna connected to bring in a signal. The screen is filled with static and we cannot get a clear picture. The key to clearing the static is prayer and quiet time. Of course quiet time that lasts more than two minutes is difficult for a seminary student, a parent, a husband, an American, a human being. I don't know about you, but I get busy - very busy, and it's hard to say no to things so I can have that quiet time with God. He's been there waiting all along. I know He's still walking with me, He's just harder to hear. That's why it's so important to take the time to turn down the volume on all the white noise and spend some time listening to God.

No comments: