Wednesday, January 26, 2011

God's Faithfulness Reaches to the Sky

Psalm 36 begins with the words, "Transgression speaks to the wicked deep in his heart," and in my ESV Bible there is a footnote which says in some translations verse one reads, "Transgression speaks to the wicked deep in my heart." King David is often referred to as a man after God's own heart. The reason is David loved God and wanted to see God's face all the time. However, even King David felt "transgression," or sin creeping into his heart and mind. There are some Christians who feel like they've made it and will never sin again. There are still more who do not think they've made it, but act as though they have the right to push around everyone else like the blind leading the blind. When I read these verses from Psalm 36 it reminds me that all have fallen short before the glory of God, and that includes me. These verses hold me in check because if King David felt the tug of transgression on his own heart the tug of transgression is certainly in mine as well. David fights against the transgression pulling at his heart by singing out about the glory of the Lord. I really like the way Third Day puts David's words to music and reminds me God's love, and faithfulness is just as real, just as honest, and just as powerful as today as the day David wrote the words of Psalm 36. I try to think about these words when I am in a situation to correct others. I try to remember it is God who changes lives and not me. All I can do is show people the door and live a life as close to Christ as I can. God loves all of us, and so should I; so it is with love I will try to help others learn from my own mistakes.

No comments: