Monday, January 24, 2011

Learning in our Prosperity

I'm Trading My Sorrows
In the New Testament letter written by the apostle James we are told to,
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."    (James 2:2-4 ESV)
I confess I find it hard to see various trials as opportunities to be steadfast in the Lord. During good times it is hard to think about, and when I face those trials... well... it seems impossible. Fortunately, the Biblical writers spared no ink when it came to dealing with mourning, sorrow, and how we should face various trials. Psalm 30 is titled "Joy Comes in the Morning." Verses four and five are the hook for "I'm Trading My Sorrows."
 4Sing praises to the LORD, O you(H) his saints,
   and(I) give thanks to his holy name.[b]
5(J) For his anger is but for a moment,
   and(K) his favor is for a lifetime.[c]
(L) Weeping may tarry for the night,
   but(M) joy comes with the morning.
I love those verses, but the harder lesson comes with verses six and seven. David admits that during a time of prosperity when he claimed, "I shall never be moved." We don't know what he claimed to never be moved from, but we do know God hid Himself from David, and David was dismayed. Most of us in America have a roof over our heads, a job, and the ability to put food on our table. It is entirely too easy to forget from whence our prosperity comes, and why it has been given. We take it for granted, and when our prosperity is gone we are at a loss. The lesson of Psalm 30 is to be mindful of our relationship with the Giver of all good things in the good times so when the bad times come we are better able to put our trust in the Lord - for the Lord can turn our mourning into dancing.

No comments: