Thursday, September 16, 2010

Burning the Candle at Both Ends

Today is going to be a long day. Every day this week has been busy and yesterday was much more of a roller coaster than I can go into here. In my devotion time this morning I was reading "A Guide to Prayer for All who Seek God," and found this prayer by Patricia F. Wilson from her book "Quiet Spaces."

"Dear Jesus, during this day help me quiet all the thoughts that fill my head-where I must go,whom I must see, and what I must do. In their place, give me a sense of your order, your peace, and your time.

Help me to understand that you are in control, and I can trust you with my day. Help me to realize that nothing on my to-do list is important if it is not what you want me to do.

I give all my tasks to you and trust you to bing order to them. In these moments, dear Jesus, come to me, be with me, and free me from the tyranny of 'to-do.'" (p347)

I know when Jesus had just something huge, like feeding 5000 people, he often went away by Himself to spend quiet time with God. I am so busy with the "have to's" of my life it is difficult to make that quality time. My body doesn't like getting up early. How John and Charles Wesley would get up at 4am every day to pray is beyond me. However, I see the value in it, and I want that kind of quality time with God. Which means it comes down to the challenge I am always facing - balance. Balance, balance, balance. The more I try to follow God the more I realize my life is like a scale. The difference is instead of two arms on the scale there are three or four and I can only put my time and energy into one platform at a time. I have to have help. My wife has been great, but I do her a disservice if I spend too much time studying, or working and not enough time with her. Plus with a baby on the way I'm going to need God more than ever. I love the Lord, but I do not want to be an absentee father. I need to find better balance, both in the things I control and in the time I make to give things to God.

No comments: