Thursday, September 30, 2010

WWJD

God is absolutely worthy of living our lives to suit Him. To live as Christ lives brings joy, peace and contentment. American culture encourages rugged individualism with the ethic of he who has the most toys at the end wins. The American dream as it is cast today, the hunt for more stuff, fame and fortune, me me me the individualist does not bring any of those things. Sometimes I fall into that trap. When I am furthest from Christ I question myself, and my confidence falls. When I am furthest from Christ I want to huddle together with people I know and ignore those I don't because I want to feel safe and secure. I know there are times when I've been over bearing, short, callous, defensive, or talked way too much; all because I was afraid of either ridicule, or being made fun of, or just making mistakes and letting people down. I don't think I'm alone. I think that's part of the reason why most churches are so clickish. The apostle Paul had something to say about this kind of fear. "Only let yourselves be worthy of the gospel of Christ[.]" In my life I have felt very little comfort in possessions; although I find myself longing for them from time to time. I have felt more fear and dread when I have focused on me, myself and I, than on top of any mountain or hanging from any rock wall. My greatest place of comfort is with Christ surrounded by those who love Him as much as I do, and usually more. I have felt best about myself when I am reaching out to others for the Kingdom of God. It isn't about me. Thank God it's not all about me...

No comments: